Sunday, March 8, 2015

Personal progress again: because we never cease to grow!

I loved the Young Women program since I was I was a little girl... although I don’t remember exactly at which moment of my life it was, I have some flashbacks of the Young Women meetings/activities that I attended when my mom was Young Women president in Peru, when I was about 5-6. Later, through activities, lessons, projects, friends, leaders, girls’ camp, seminary, young women songs (basically Janice Kapp Perry songs) young women programs, new beginnings, callings, etc., my love for the Young Women organization has immensely grown. I have now been called, for the second time in my life, as a Young Women second counselor, which makes me really happy! I love to work with youth. The more I get to know some of you, since the moment I was as you are now, a teenager, until now, the more I learn to love you all, and to respect you for your strength, for your talents, for your courage, for your enthusiasm, for your maturity, for your energy, for your creative ideas, for who you are. I understand better why you were saved to come in these latter-days, and why Satan seeks to destroy you: he knows your value and potential! Don’t let him fool you!
As I look back in my life, being a “former” young women (I might be more than 18, but I still young, right?), I realized the impact this organization had in my life, and that I am where I am now, and I am NOT where I COULD have been now, because of things I did or learned during that time in Young Women. I would like to focus on in this blog on one aspect of my Young Women story: MY PERSONAL PROGRESS.

It is through that program that I discovered who I really aam, that I developed self-esteem, that I discovered my gifts and talents, that I pushed my limits and realized that I can do so much more than what I had thought, that I understood better the gospel and gain more knowledge. It is through that program that I built a pattern of improvement and progression for my life. It is because of what I got from my personal progress that I have been able to go through those experiences of life and to take them as experiences to grow and to become a better version of myself. My life would be really different without my personal progress.
Although there had been many changes in that program, it still very inspired, and adapted to YOU, the youth! And now, being in Young Women again, as a leader, I have decided to work on my Personal Progress again, along with the girls from my branch, and also with all of you who will read my blog. This blog will be my Personal Progress journal. I will share here how I work on each goal, for each value, what I learn from it, my ideas for projects, and the experiences I have from it. I might also share some of the things I learned or lived while working on these goals as a young woman, looking on my old journals... I will also post ideas from other young women or leaders, so that you could find here help or motivation to work on your goals.
If you would like to have some ideas or would like to know how I had experienced working on an specific value you are working with, just write a message and I will do it for you, or with you if you want. Actually, for any question, doubt, concern, advice, or anything, ANYTHING you would like to ask someone, if you’re seeking advice to help a friend, if you’re struggling with your self-esteem, bullying, school, relationships, illness, addiction, with a principle of the gospel, or even if you just need someone’s opinion for Halloween costume (I can have crazy and original ideas for costumes), or for a new haircut, or about a guy, or any other concern, feel free to ask. I would love to help you, because I love you, and believe in you, and I want you to find at least as much happiness as I have found in my own life. It would be a pleasure to help you in your own pursuit of happiness...


Oh, and by the way, when you write me, don’t write anything like “Dear sister Sheyla” or anything like that. Just say “Hey Shey!” That’s how you call me! I’m not here as your leader – I’m here as another young woman (because I’m barely older than you)... and even as your friend, if it’s what you want! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment